Quinoa grains are expensive in Singapore. As they have a higher protein content than rice, I cook them sometimes. You can easily replace quinoa with brown rice.
I like making this dish because it is quick and simple. You can just cook everything in a rice cooker or an instant pot.
In addition, you can use any frozen veggies that you have. Frozen veggies are healthier than canned veggies even though the taste may not be as good in the context of corns. The best tasting food will always be fresh food. However, I am more than willing to give up on taste for convenience. I can’t spend 3 hours cooking 3 meals everyday but I think spending 30 mins preparing each meal is pretty reasonable.
- Rice / Quinoa (1 cup)
- Frozen Veggies (1 cup)
- Shallots or onions (1/2 or 1)
- Olive Oil, Salt, Black Pepper
- Water (1 and 3/4 cup)
- Heat up a tablespoon of olive oil and fry the chopped shallots till they start to caramelise and brown.
- Stir in the frozen veggies, add 1/4 teaspoon of salt and black pepper.
- Scoop them up in a separate bowl.
- Wash the rice or Quinoa.
- Add 1 and 3/4 cup of water to the grains and cook it according to the recommendations of your pot.
- When grains are cooked, stir in the veggies and let them sit in the pot for 10 mins before serving.