Vegan Substitute Ingredients
|Silken Tofu and Cashew Nuts
|Bob’s Miller Nutritional Yeast
- If you are using silken tofu in this sauce, you have to cook the sauce at a very low heat to prevent curdling of the protein. Therefore, this dish will take a longer cooking time and may not be suitable to be cooked in an instant pot.
- Where can you find Nutritional Yeast in Singapore? You can find it online or in Phoon Huat shops at around SGD10. The Nacho’s cashew sauce recipe printed on the Bob’s Miller’s packaging is sooo good. You could just use that as the sauce without adding the silken tofu. However, I chose to add tofu into the sauce to reduce the fat content.
- You will have to taste the sauce and adjust the ingredients to your likings. Freshly grated lemon zest will really elevate the flavour of this dish.
A: Ingredients (Sauce)
Serves: 1 to 2 pax , Prep TIme: 30-45 mins
- 1/2 pack of silken tofu
- 8 pcs of cashew nuts
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast
B: Ingredients (Sauce Condiments)
- Lemon Zest
- Freshly grounded black pepper
C: Ingredients (Others)
- 250-400g of sliced mushrooms (Portobello, Swiss brown, king oyster)
- 1/2 pcs of chopped brown onions
- Pasta for 1 to 2 people
- Olive Oil
- Add salt into a pot of water and boil the pasta according to the instructions on the packaging. (Usually it will be about 8 to 10 mins.) Drain the water and soak the pasta in a cold water bath.
- Blend ingredients A in a blender to form the sauce.
- Heat up the Olive oil briefly and saute the sliced mushrooms, add salt and black pepper to taste. When done, keep aside in a bowl.
- Next, heat up the olive oil and saute the onions till golden brown.
- Turn the flame to the lowest and add in the blended sauce prepared in Step 2.
- Add in ingredients B and the mushroom. Taste the sauce and adjust the taste accordingly.
- Add in the pasta, mix well and serve it.
What I really like about this dish?
- I like it that it is not too fattening and creamy like the traditional cream pasta.
- I really like the flavour of all the ingredients coming together.
What can be improved about this dish?
- It’s quite tedious to make this pasta. I hope I can find or create a better recipe to make this dish more quickly.
- The tofu will eventually curdle when you reheat the pasta. So it’s not suitable for packing it out.
Why am I sharing this recipe?
- I want to capture the memories of how it feels when the food turns out surprisingly good. I think I am an accidental cook and I do not really like following a recipe all the time. On the rare occasion, I feel really inspired after cooking a dish. However, most of the time, I felt awful when the dish turned out less than desirable. I guess, it’s times when I found a new recipe that tastes decent that keeps me cooking and cooking.
Next Recipe to Try